10.02.2008

Missing Michigan...& Tolerating Utah.

I hate Utah. Flat out hate it. You might be asking..."Why on earth doesn't she just leave?" Well...the answer is simple. I love Jay too stinking much. I live in this town that I call the bubble. On Sundays, it is a ghost town. If you have an emergency, you have to drive to the Wal-mart in Springville. I live too far away to visit my family and friends, even for a long weekend. I thought I had friends here, but I was mistaken. I mean, there is Jay and Josh and a couple of others, but anyone who is LDS who was a friend before I left the church, I don't ever hear from anymore. This is a big difference I have noticed in members of the church out here. I still have all myMormon friends back home and they are all understanding and caring and loving. I just feel shunned out here and it's ridiculous. I'm sorry about this venting, but I'm just really upset about a lot of things. I don't get to see my family for Thanksgiving...or for Christmas because it's just too expensive to go. I've missed so many things that I just can't get back.And my new biggest pet peeve with this state is this. They cover all the magazines in the checkout lanes at the grocery store with big blue pieces of plastic. Why you ask? To cover the immodesty. I've gotten used to that...However...I pulled one of them off...and underneath...was THIS magazine cover....

I was perplexed...and apparantly I had a puzzling look on my face. The cashier (who PS was a MANAGER) said, "Can I help you?" and I said..."Why is this magazine covered up? He isn't in a thong or anything?" To which she replied...with a disgusted look at me..."Well...He's gay." I said "And?...." and then she just looked at me for the rest of the checkout like she was revolted by the thought of me even accepting the possibility that homosexuality was okay. I wanted to roll the magazine up and slap her poofed out over bleached head with it. Am I crazy?

Anyways, on the more reminiscent and less pessimistic side, these are some of the things I miss most about the great state shaped like a mitten.

Qdoba....Jessica and I would always fight for the saltiest chips. These are delicious. They just don't have this in UT. Cafe Rio is here...yuck!


My mom...aka Darla Rae. She is so fun.





Tman....AKA Kelly's adorable son....and Meijer...with Sandy the penny pony



The Wesels. If you know them...I don't need to say anything more. If you don't know them...that is totally your loss. =)



However....why on earth would I want to leave Utah...where this is what I have instead?

5 lb bags of GREEN JELL-O. (notice the jell-o wall behind me)



Billboards advertising "Escape Polygamy"






and last but not least...the various fry sauces of Utah. Well...the ketchup is normal.

What's a girl to do?!?!?!?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Good ol' Utah.

And I know that's not a valid comment, but I mostly just wanted to say "hi"!

Katherine said...

yeah utah blows, they don't cover up the magazines in Ogden - well maybe they do at the mormon owned Macey's but I don't shop there.
lets hang

Lilliana Felicity said...

oh how i misseth thou. our days of pooping and popeyes! I love you.

Laura Waltz said...

Hmm...I guess covering magazines does make it less tempting to buy one, but that's weird they covered the People magazine! I've never been to Utah so I can't give you a fair judgment, but remember, MI has me so it can't be all that bad! J/K. Miss you! Whatever you decide will work itself out, I'm sure.

The Haas Family said...

Don't leave too soon, Jenny, I'll be there soon! I know you already know this because of your post on my blog, but still. We'll probably be there by the end of June (Rob starts rotations in July). Maybe you'll get lucky and have to go the doctor and Rob will walk in...how embarrasing!!! Anyway hang in there...there are great things about anywhere you live. You'll make the best of it. Just find a lot of JELL-O recepies and you'll be blissful!

 
Designed by Lena