So much for trying to do a little service project. I think next time I decide to be giving...I'll dish up soup at the homeless shelter or read books to sick kiddos in the hospital. Oh well...live and learn =)
8.08.2008
Vampire Attack
It is 2:33 am and I can't sleep. I know, you're probably all thinking...the poor girl has insomnia...or she misses her boyfriend too much...or she had too much caffeine today. If you guessed any of those answers you are WRONG. I can't sleep due to a freak accident at the Red Cross yesterday. So, they called me to come donate blood (Mine's the second rarest, and every 6-8 weeks, they turn into vampires hustling me for my blood.) This time though, it was for a pediatric patient who was having surgery. So I get out of work, and haul butt to get all my errands done before my appointment. I get there and everything is fine and dandy...until the guy reaches for the needle. This particular guy has drawn my blood before, so I was thinking perfect...in 5 minutes, I'll be out of here. So...he cleans my arm, blah blah blah, and shoves the needle into my arm...after about 30 seconds the machine goes haywire and starts beeping like a crack dealer's pager. So what does he do? He grabs the needle and fishes it around in my arm for about a minute....At this point I'm all lightheaded and dizzy. He can't get the needle where it needs to be, so some chick comes up and takes her turn at fishing around. They keep saying, if it hurts, tell us. I'm like, yeah it's fine...it's not the most pleasant thing I've ever endured...but it doesn't hurt. As she's playing find the vein, she whispers to herself "we need this blood." After about 7 more minutes ( I only know this from watching the clock) he pulls the needle out....and I puke. I am not a wimp, so for prideful me this was a little embarrassing. So I leave....and I'm dizzy driving home and when I get there I start puking again. As of right now, I'm typing with one hand because I have no sensation in my left hand....I have this gigantic hematoma on my arm. This photo was taken 7 hours after my little escapade at the Red Cross. Nasty isn't it?
So much for trying to do a little service project. I think next time I decide to be giving...I'll dish up soup at the homeless shelter or read books to sick kiddos in the hospital. Oh well...live and learn =)
So much for trying to do a little service project. I think next time I decide to be giving...I'll dish up soup at the homeless shelter or read books to sick kiddos in the hospital. Oh well...live and learn =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
YIKES! That is aweful! I'm really glad I don't have a rare blood type because you really couldn't pay me to give blood, I just don't do good with these types of things...plus my veins are TINY so it's almost impossible for them to get the needles in.
POOR THING! I hope you're feeling better.
Holy cow! You are brave. You should make sure you have a copy of this photo on you and next time, if you feel kind enough to donate again, show it to them first. Tell them you will NOT go through that again!
I feel so sorry for your arm! Ouch!
Awesome, I'm signed up to give blood on Wed. I feel a lot better about things. Is your blood type B negative? It seems like that is the second rarest, but maybe it's third? I have B negative, so if you ever need an emergency transfusion, you know who to call.
this is exactly why i don't give blood.
Post a Comment